October Mountain State Forest Camping Guide
At 16,600 acres, October Mountain is the largest state forest in Massachusetts. The Forest offers visitors a place to camp, hike and enjoy the outdoors while they visit Tanglewood and the many other cultural and scenic attractions of the central Berkshires. Forty-six campsites on a three tiered layout.
- The forest is open from sunrise to one half-hour after sunset. Access is free.
- Camping season is from mid-May through mid-October in designated campground only. Reservations are suggested. Several sites are wheelchair accessible. There are three yurts that are available for camping. No group sites are available. Campground office hours: 8am-10pm.
- Recreational Vehicles: RV size is restricted to 34 ft. No electric hook-ups available. Trailer waste station is available ($15 fee for non-campers).
- Alcoholic beverages are prohibited on all state lands.
- Be bear aware: Don't forget you are in Black Bear country. Never physically confront, feed, torment or throw anything at bears. Take appropriate precautions with food so as not to attract bears.
- Pets are permitted, except in yurts and on yurt sites. Pets must be on a 10-foot maximum leash and attended at all times. Must have proof of current Rabies vaccine. Please be courteous and clean up after your pet.