October Mountain State Forest Overview
At 16,600 acres, October Mountain is the largest state forest in Massachusetts. The Forest offers visitors a place to camp, hike and enjoy the outdoors while they visit Tanglewood and the many other cultural and scenic attractions of the central Berkshires. Forty-six campsites on a three tiered layout.
- The forest is open from sunrise to one half-hour after sunset. Access is free.
- Camping season is from mid-May through mid-October in designated campground only. Reservations are suggested. Several sites are wheelchair accessible. There are three yurts that are available for camping. No group sites are available. Campground office hours: 8am-10pm.
- Recreational Vehicles: RV size is restricted to 34 ft. No electric hook-ups available. Trailer waste station is available ($15 fee for non-campers).
- Alcoholic beverages are prohibited on all state lands.
- Be bear aware: Don’t forget you are in Black Bear country. Never physically confront, feed, torment or throw anything at bears. Take appropriate precautions with food so as not to attract bears.
- Pets are permitted, except in yurts and on yurt sites. Pets must be on a 10-foot maximum leash and attended at all times. Must have proof of current Rabies vaccine. Please be courteous and clean up after your pet.
- Campsite Tables
- Comfort Station
- Dump Station
- Fire Rings
- Pets OK
- Picnic Tables
- Restrooms (Flush Toilets)
- Bird Watching
- Horseback riding
- Mountain Biking
- Wildlife Viewing
October Mountain State Forest Comments & Reviews
Visted October Mountain State Forest Campground lately? We'd love to hear about your adventure. Did you find us useful? Did we forget something? Anything our community should know before heading out to October Mountain State Forest?